01 February 2006

Posted by karinska On Wednesday, February 01, 2006
I remember when I was in college, during my first day as a new member of the dance troupe, when our choreographer arranged our positions for the dance, she asked what my name was. I told her it’s Cha. She moved her eyes thinking where to put me and called out “Joy! Dito ka”. Nobody moved. Then a guy dancemate whispered to me, “Cha, ikaw yun. Sunod ka na lang”. So I learned she has this habit of using other names if she feels like doing so.

Almost everybody from the group started calling me Joy, which I found difficult at first because they called me Joy anywhere they see me in campus Most of the time, they would call me and I wouldn’t look back. Not that I intentionally do it, I didn’t think it was me! It wasn’t easy to adapt to a new name that was very far from the real one. The point came when they decided to stop it but our choreographer never did. “Bagay sa iyo yung Joy. Masayahin ka eh”, she explained with a smile.

Joy. Joy. Joy. Many people can’t seem to find it. They were too focused on looking for bigger things. What if you’re in a place where everything has the same size? Will you die in disappointment and loneliness?

Can joy be found in having a special someone, in having lots of money, in getting promoted at work, in having so much increase in salary, etc? Does it always have to be something big?

Maybe it all depends on how one views what he sees and what he has.

In my case, I celebrated more when I saw my friends whom I haven’t seen for a long time than when I got promoted at work. In fact, I didn’t celebrate my promotion at all.

Joy for me is staying at home with my family watching movie and eating chips. It is staying in my brother’s room having some chitchat and laugh before going to bed at night. It is playing warcraft dota with my little sis. It is going to an orphanage and the children remembers your name even if it was just your second visit.

Joy is when you see the happiness in your friend’s face because you were able to watch her gig in north when you live in south and dead tired from work. It is having coffee with your friend for no reason at all but just because you want to spend time together.

Joy is getting soaked in the rain because your friend was laughing so hard he could barely walk to reach a covered place. It is when you get to hug someone so tight not because you’re romantically connected or your lonely, but because you just want to. It is being able to tell other people you love them and how much joy they have given you.

Simple things can bring so much joy. As a line from the movie says, “Maybe you’re looking, but not really seeing”.

11 comments:

  1. ayokong mag-comment pero may question ako. bakit ang blooming mo sa pic mo sa friendster? or, bakit ang blooming mo ngayon? mas blooming ka pa kesa nung last year. nakakapagtaka na tlga yang mga pa-smile-smile mo sa amin ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. joy ka pla huh? hi joy! hahahaha hmmm... i'd love to get soaked in the rain with someone (kilig).

    well you're always blooming naman even during those times you go out with my pet (kailangan talagang isingit) ;p pero mader, blooming ka nga ngayon, sobra. pero ayaw ko nang mag-comment tungkol dun *rotfl*

    ReplyDelete
  3. joy to the world! chachi's blushing for sooo many reasons.

    sis how are you na nga pla. balita ko tapang mo raw ah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. choco - blooming ba? may nag-kiss kasi sa akin sa cheeks nun eh hahaha jokish! masama bang mag-smile?

    tish - im sure you wanna get soaked in the rain ;p mahal na mahal mo tlga pet mo.

    sheena - oks naman. di pa tapos but God has given us enough strength and wisdom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of the many things kaya bilib ako sa iyo. you're very appreciative. it is from simple things that you draw strength from in facing all problems or tests.

    how's BBT. i'm hearing some rumors so i want to know the truth from you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. tine hi! mishu! mishu! it's not just rumor. true po un. we have plans. i won the game so i'm collecting my prize *wink*

    i wanna go to lova palooza!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ano namang gagawin mo dun? (wrong question ata to)

    ReplyDelete
  8. syempre manonood. ano ba tish! matulog ka na nga sis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah manonood lang ako :) ako pa diba?

    ReplyDelete
  10. yup you'll just watch. ano nga ba uli ung line mo cha? wahahaha iba ka!

    ReplyDelete

Comment using Open ID if your account is with any of the following: Yahoo, Hyves, Flickr, Orange, Mixi, Myspace and AOL