14 June 2004

Posted by karinska On Monday, June 14, 2004
I ended my words with “Is he the one?”. I closed my diary and placed it under my neatly piled clothes in the cabinet. I have always done this. Write stuffs about a guy I don’t romantically have.

After a while, I decided to give Sean a phone call because I haven’t talked to him for two months since the start of summer vacation. When I dialed his number, my hands were shaking. That is just how I am every time I want to give him a call. I would decide to put the phone down when I’m about to dial the last digit of his telephone number. I would always feel the cold air passing me by. I would have goosebumps all over, taking me ten minutes before I can get over it. A while later, I finally kept myself collected to go on with the call.

He gave me his warmest greeting. He asked a lot of questions, which, when compiled together would only mean, “How are you?” Sean is a good friend of mine. He’s my classmate in some of my major classes in the university. For almost 3 years, we’ve spent a lot of time together because of group activities in some subjects and because he’s my next-door neighbor in the apartment. I have this special feeling for him since the beginning. I don’t know if I should believe in love at first sight. That’s why I would sometimes call it infatuation at first sight. But I feel it’s more than that. It is something else. Something more wonderful.

As we talked, I asked him how his former girlfriend was. Sean had been single for 3 months already. Then, abruptly, he told me that his former girlfriend is pregnant and that he is the father of the soon-to-be child.

Boom! It hit me. Then slowly everything seemed blurred. Not a word came out of my mouth. Not even the sound of my breath. It’s over. Everything seemed to have stopped. Even the rotation of the earth.

I went back to my senses when he asked me if the way I look at him changed. That is in terms of friendship. I am not really sure if he knows I have feelings for him. But then, sometimes I thought that maybe he does. I answered him “no”. Our conversation didn’t really last that long. I made a feckless excuse that I have to put the phone down because I have a visitor.

Still holding the phone, I stared into hollowness. Slowly, tears rolled down my cheeks until I felt the pain in my eyes. Then I thought of how could I stupidly hope that there would be something between the two us.

After that, I decided to watch TV. Hoping that even a little, it will help me. Then I tuned in to a channel and watched “Ally McBeal”. Why is it always like that? Whenever such situations happen, everything you see and hear has something to do with what you feel. I turned off the TV thinking of how the heart can be so misleading. Of how deceiving love is sometimes.

I went outside our house and looked up the stars. I could hardly hear the voice of my brother calling me for I was busy looking up the sky as the words of a character on the show I just watched kept playing in my mind, “Why wait for the right one if the right one does not exist?”

--------
this story is for my friend maya :) after our conversation at Starbucks about "the one". sis, i still can't imagine the 2 guys you like ended up together hahahaha really terrible. peace tayo!!!

2 comments:

  1. did you ever asked that question?
    ht

    ReplyDelete
  2. tanong lang po...

    kung nakita mo na nga yung right one mo... ikaw kaya yung right one sa kanya??? di ba unfair kung hinde? hehehe!

    weird ko... lagi naman eh!

    -popo

    ReplyDelete

Comment using Open ID if your account is with any of the following: Yahoo, Hyves, Flickr, Orange, Mixi, Myspace and AOL